After finishing a semester of nutrition lecturing I gave myself a 2 week holiday, some time to recuperate and refocus after a very satisfying, but full on semester. I haven’t been anywhere or done much so far. Why am I telling you this? Well because I had so many plans, blogs to write, a new website to create for my naturopathic practice, garden, get fit, go to yoga and so on. The list was a page long. Instead I found myself inspired by none of these activities and so I thought I would share with you the small inspirations and activities in my holiday that have meant I have written no blogs (except this one), not lifted a finger to put together a website or completed many, if at all any of the things on my list….
My holiday inspirations & activities
1. Reading: an inspiring book called The Fire Starter Sessions – a soulful + practical guide to creating success on your own terms by Danielle LaPorte. This book surprised me. I didn’t mean to read it (or rather listen as I have it audiobook form) but my hands made their own decision and purchased the download before I had time to think about it. Now I am half way through and really starting to reevaluate what I am doing. And it’s thought provoking and exciting.
2. Listening: Since I have been more relaxed I have the patience to listen to music again. When in full swing I can find music, no matter what kind, irritating, like a fly buzzing around my already very full head. When in relaxation mode, I find it so enjoyable to listen to music of all kinds. My play list currently is 40 Most Beautiful Violin Concertos, Kitty, Daisy & Lewis – Smoking in Heaven and dare I say it, even some Sparkadia!
3. Watching: Yesterday afternoon I was sobbing to myself (fortunately I was at home alone so could sob to my hearts content) as I watched As it is in Heaven. I had no idea how lovely and…well deliciously sad this movie is. I loved it. By way of contrast today I am going to see the latest Bond film Skyfall – nothing like a bit of Hollywood cinema occasionally!
4. Practicing: I have been participating in Depak Chopra’s 21 Day Meditation Series. I spend a very peaceful 15 minutes a day listening to Depak impart wisdom.
5. Wearing: Karen Murrell’s Red Shimmer Lipstick – my new favourite red! Oh and I also have on Zoya Carmen nail polish. My colours coordinate (for once!) and it’s all just to please me.
6. Eating: incredibly well! I can’t actually confess to being a junk food addict anyway. My Achilles’s Heel is coffee so I have one every day – real coffee that is. Apart from that it is good, fresh, healthy fare. I am slightly obsessed with grated carrot and beetroot with parsley, rocket or something green and a soy mayo based dressing. I have it at least 3 times a week. Oh and just because it is the season I bought some mince pies to share with a friend that came over – they are so good with coffee />
7. Exercise: a daily stroll (with no huffy puffy) around the local reserve with my two dogs. It certainly tires them out more than it does me. I go at dusk and so get to see the sun go down most days. The light in the reserve is so soft. Drifting through the forest is a lovely gentle way to end the day.
So while this holiday isn’t action packed with DOMES (days of maximum endeavour) or full of social engagement, it is just what I need to reconnect with my…well, self really!
Please let me know what things help you reconnect, reignite or reprioritise your life.